At some point, every parent hears these three words: “My stomach hurts.” Okay, so now you have to play the role of a MD mom and have to decide whether to take your kid right away to the doctor or to try some home remedies first and monitor. Sometimes, stomach pain in children gets better with home remedies. Pain that is caused due to indigestion, excessive gases can be easily cured with things easily available in our kitchen. I have tried most of them. My daughter’s favorite is Asafoetida +Water. If she is having any such pain she herself says ‘Aai, can you apply Hing on my tummy…?’:)
With infants and toddlers, it’s hard to judge if they are suffering from stomach pain. If by pressing their belly increases pain, belly feels hard or swollen; if they do not allow you to touch their belly and they pull their legs up toward the belly. All these are the symptoms of stomach pain.
For stomach ache:
- Carom Seeds (ajwain)+Salt: Swallow with water. For an infant/toddler, you can boil these seeds with little water. Cool and strain it and then give spoonful to your child. But remember not to overdo it, as it might lead to lose motions in infants.
- Asafoetida +Water: Make paste of asafoetida and water, heat it and apply it around the belly button. But remove it quickly if the baby cries as it can irritate a newborn’s skin.
- Beatle leaf+Mustard Oil: Apply Mustard Oil on the inner side of the leaf. Heat the leaf (mustard oil side in) and place it on the belly button. Tie around with a strip of cloth.
- Massage: Massage the stomach in a gentle, circular clockwise direction, for younger children alternating between massage on bending the knees into the chest can help.
For upset stomach:
- Mashed ripe banana with a little salt should be taken 2-3 times a day.
- Crush 8-10 curry leaves (curry patta). Mix with a cup of thin buttermilk (chhach) and have 2-3 times a day.
- Drink plenty of water to which a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt has been added to guard against dehydration if suffering from diarrhea.
From my readings:
- Take 2 grams of oregano seeds, 2 grams of cumin seeds and 2 grams of rock salt. Make a fine powder and squeeze half a lemon on it. Swallow the mixture with a glass of lukewarm water.
- Take 30 grams of pomegranate seeds, sprinkle salt and add a pinch of black pepper. Chew them well and swallow.Drink lemon tea with some honey added in it for taste.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of mint juice and lime juice. Add some ginger juice and black salt in it. Drink this mixture for quick stomach pain relief.
- For children: Ripe & sweet apples crushed to a pulp (can be steamed) can be given as 1-4 tablespoon several times a day.
- Place an ice cube above, on, or below your belly button and lie down. This may numb the pain temporarily.
This was from my side. If you want to add anything, feel free to do so.