Cardamom or Elaichi (in Hindi) is one of the essential spices in Indian cooking especially for dessert. It has a light and sweet flavor. In the culinary arts, cardamom is a spice made from the seed pods of various plants in the ginger family. It can be found in notable dishes, spice mixtures and drinks such as many curries, garam masala, masala chai. So far I have used cardamom for making ladoo, kheer (pudding), halwa. But never used in cakes. This is a very simple recipe. The cake came out soft, spongy. It can be a good option for (not tea time) coffee-time.
Different than regular vanilla cake or pound cake, Cardamom cake has a distinct flavor from cardamom.
You will need: (adapted from www.mykitchentrials.com)
- 1 1/4 cups- all purpose flour
- 3 1/3 cups – sugar
- 1 tablespoon- baking powder
- 2 tablespoons – cardamom powder
- 1 cup – butter
- 2- eggs
- 1 1/4 cups – milk
Let’s bake cardamom cake:
- Preheat the oven for 350 F.
- Melt the butter. Now beat sugar and eggs until smooth.
- Add baking powder and cardamom powder. Beat again.
- Add butter milk and flour. Mix again.
- Pour in the greased pan and bake it or 55-65 minutes.
- Do the toothpick test. Let it cool down before slicing.
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee.