We had to go for a get together last weekend and we decided to take dessert. But again there were so many options. My daughter asked for ice cream. I had oranges so thought of trying out something with orange-how about Orange Ice Cream? Sounds different and somewhat refreshing. Right? Alright, since it was a last minute decision, so taking a short cut method was a better option.
As I use condensed milk and cool whip for most of my ice creams, I did the same thing for Orange Ice Cream too. Added orange zest for extra flavor and voila!! Yummy, refreshing Orange Ice Cream was ready in no time. I took it to the dinner and everyone loved it. So, sharing with you this easy, simple, yummy recipe for Orange Ice Cream.
I explored few recipes for orange ice cream, and few of the recipes used store bought orange juice but I preferred using fresh juice. Also, few of them used heavy cream ad powdered sugar instead of cool whip, condensed milk and evaporated milk. But then you have to beat the heavy cream until it becomes creamy. Because of time constraint, cool whip was a handy option for me. Do give it a try for your next party or just make it for your family during Summer or Spring Break.
For Orange Ice Cream you will need:
- Condensed Milk – 1/2, 14oz Can
- Evaporated Milk – 1, 12oz Can
- Cool Whip – 1, 8oz tub
- Orange juice– from 1 orange
- Orange zest – from one orange
- Lemon juice– from 1 lemon
Let’s do the mixing part:
- First blend condensed milk, cool whip and evaporated milk. You can use hand mixer or blender.
- Add orange juice, lemon juice to the above mixture.
- Now add Orange zest. (Orange zest is nothing but the top layer of orange peel. It contains fruit’s oil and adds a citrus flavor to any dish. You just grate it gently. Try not to go too deep otherwise it will taste bitter. We just need the top most layer). I would suggest not using the whole amount at once.
- Mix everything. Transfer it to a container you wish to set your ice cream in.
- Let it sit in the freezer for at least 5-6 hours.
- Orange Ice cream is ready to be served!!