It makes my mouth watery when I hear about Aate ke Ladoo. Other than Besan Ladoo, Aate ke Ladoo is my second favorite. I can clearly picture my mom roasting the flour in a big kadhai, the home filling up with heavenly aroma. I don’t remember seeing her taking measuring cups, spoons. But her recipes would always come out perfect. I guess that how all moms are.:) But for us, we need the exact measurement to get at least close to her taste.
For kids and even for grown-ups, Aate ke Ladoo are healthy because of whole wheat flour, off course, along with dry fruits. Besan doesn’t suit many people. So, Aate ke Ladoo is a better option for them. Only thing is, we have to roll the ladoo quickly as Aata or whole wheat flour tend to absorb ghee quickly. You can also add Edible gum. Many people add dry roasted and powdered thin poha (flattened rice). It adds crunchiness to the ladoos.
Let’s make Aate ke Ladoo:
- Aata (whole wheat flour)- 2 cups
- Powdered Sugar – 1 cup
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 1/2 cup (approx.)
- Dry Fruits – slivered almonds, chopped cashews, raisins – 4-5 tablespoons (fry them separately in ghee)
- Chironji – roasted and lightly broken (available in indian stores)
(Chironji is an Indian plant used as spice and added in deserts. It is also called melon seeds and has a taste similar to almonds. The seed is lentil size and slightly flattened.)
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- In a wok, on medium heat, melt ghee. Add Aata. Roast it till you get a nice aroma. Aata gets roasted very quickly so keep stirring continuously.
- Take it off the heat.
- Add Sugar, dry fruits. If you are using the edible gum then add at this point. For edible gum, fry that in ghee and crush it.
- Mix it well.
- Start into ladoos while it’s still warm otherwise it will not bind properly.
- Keep some ghee aside, in case you feel that the mixture is getting dry and you are finding it difficult to roll it.
- Cool completely before storing in air tight container.
- Some people roast the aata and then add ghee and other ingredients to it. If that is easy for you then you can follow that method.